Search MCR

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Revelstoke snowfall

I apologize that these are not exactly mountaintop type observations – but I feel they are relevant.

 

I have just returned home to Revelstoke and met some challenging snowy driving up, the usually dry, Okanogan valley on my way. In Revelstoke (which sits at an elevation of @ 1450ft. 440m.) there was @ 40cms. of snow on my driveway (over the last 2 days) and it is still snowing at more than 2 cms/hr. (looks like another 15cms since I shoveled).

 

All that is to say that obviously this is a major system and if it is doing this in town I can’t imagine what is going on up high. Tomorrow things are supposed to start to warm up – by the afternoon – personally I can’t imagine a better recipe for a major avalanche cycle – looking like a good day to hit the ski hill for me!

 

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide