Search MCR

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

[MCR] Feb 04 Surface Hoar Discussion

I fear that my last post which mentioned the Feb 04 surface hoar was
oversimplified. The reason I mentioned this layer in my post in the first
place was that I was worried someone might misinterprate
the fact that we were skiing bigger more agressive lines as a sign
stability/hazard had improved. Reality is that in most locations of the
interior, it is still a grave concern, however here at Battle Abbey, after
carefull study it is not...

I regret this over simplification and urge folks to make real sure this
scary beast of a layer is not hiding under your ski's! Here is how I came to
be comfortable that at Battle Abbey it was not an issue.
1: First of all the layer is not only surface hoar but a collection of
possible crusts, facets and/or a combo of these. It has caused many
accidents and close calls. So at first I was very wary.
2. I received information from a credible source, one of the owners who has
been guiding at the Abbey since Feb 7th said that this layer was isolated
there and that high winds, sun and settlement had all contributed to
strengthening its bond. Our tests over a few days also showed an improving
trend.
3. We skied conservative terrain to start the week, using many tools to test
stability: ski cutting convex rolls, looking for any signs of weakness,
doing shear and compression tests, skiing known indicator slopes and
checking out stability in frequent flyers (slopes that avalanche often).
4. Finally after a few days of this, I eased my way carefully into some
steeper terrain in the most conservative manner. We also called stability
good in the Alpine, treeline and below treeline every day since I got here.
Finally we eased our way carefully in bigger lines.

I appologize for my original oversimplication and attribute my oversight or
rather undersight, to the fact that the MCR serves both the public and the
proffessional. As such I tried to find the middle ground, not telling pro's
how to do their jobs, while at the same time giving the typical
recreationalist a caution. In reality it is much more accurate to be very
precise and informative rather than taking anything for granted, after all
the pro's are used to sifting through info they do not need that could be
crucial to a less experienced person's decision making. Never take anything
for granted!
Happy and safe skiing, Eric, ACMG guide

_________________________________________________________________
Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live
Spaces. http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-ca

_______________________________________________
These observations and opinions are those of the person who submitted them. The ACMG and its members take no responsibility for errors, omissions, or lapses in continuity. Conditions differ greatly over time and space due to the variable nature of mountain weather and terrain. Application of this information provides no guarantee of increased safety. Do not use the Mountain Conditions Report as the sole factor in planning trips or making decisions in the field.
Please check out http://acmg.ca/mcr for more information.