Search MCR

Monday, January 8, 2007

[MCR] Musical Bumps Whistler

Yesterday I was in the Musical Bumps (east of Whistler Mountain) teaching an avalanche course.  Strong winds and about 30cm of new snow had loaded the slopes.  Foot Penetration was 130cm and the height of snow at 1750m on a NW slope was 350cm.  We found easy to moderate compressions test results that fractured out clean and planar in the new snow (the upper 50cm).  Below that the pack got consolidated and produced only random hard results. 
Saw one size 2+ natural avalanche's crown line on  Flute Mt.
During the day I Rated the Hazard at Tree Line as High and the Stability as Poor. But I think things should be tightening up fast.
 
On another unrelated note.  Mid last week I was up in the Callaghan Valley and a couple of times when I stepped off the Cat I was working on I sunk up to my neck in snow.  There is a 4m snowpack at 1300m. I guess its a good start to the year!
 
Dave Sarkany, Ski Guide