Search MCR

Monday, August 7, 2006

[MCR] Rockfall

 
I felt it worth mentioning two BIG rockfall events I saw in the Rockies this week. 
 
The first was July 30th around 2500m on an east aspect out of a limestone face between Mts. Schaeffer and Biddle and was easily the biggest I have ever seen. It really looked like a big serac fall. I will take a wild guess and say it started as a 150 cubic meter chunk. Lots of refrigerator sized pieces flying far out of the dust cloud. Ouch! 
 
The second was a huge volley off the NW face of Ringrose on August 5th- I would guess over 50 big blocks hit the glacier HARD. It looked like a quartzite event but we couldn't see where it started.
 
With the heat still on, there will be more to come from all over the ranges before things cool down and get frozen in place again. Yipes!
 
Larry Stanier
Mountain Guide