Search MCR

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - Rogers Pass - Mt. Tupper/Sir Donald - Aug.18/09

Today was a cool blustery overcast day on Tupper, with fog forming on the ridge for most of the day from the upslope winds. I was wearing a winter weight fleece shirt, my Dry Clime jacket under a Patagonia Puffball (new and fluffy still) - plus my toque and gloves – with all that I was comfortable (barely). So needless to say the forecasted sunshine and warm temps have yet to arrive.

 

Tonight it has cleared off in Revelstoke and the satellite images show the ridge has finally arrived – so tomorrow looks good and they are now making it look like Thursday should also be nice (a change over recent forecasts) – and Friday is back to 60%POP.

 

I didn’t get a chance to talk to them personally, but there was a group of locals that headed to Sir D today – from my vantage it was in the cloud all day and I heard mention of wet slippery rock, and judging from the time they were back in town, I highly suspect that they did not summit today (but perhaps?). I could still see snow on the slope below the summit block through the mist as we drove home in the PM.

 

Most other peaks are low enough and have escaped the snow and with tomorrows sunshine should be great climbing, there was still snow on the Swiss peaks traverse and it looked like it would be pretty tricky right now (as well the snow gully descent is looking a bit icy and thin).

 

Cheers,

 

Scott Davis

ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide