Search MCR

Monday, September 20, 2010

[MCR] Lake O'Hara area Sept 20th.


I have not been above 2800m in the past 3-4 days. Up to that elevation I have been pleasantly surprised by how strong and settled the snowpack is. Yesterday coming over Opabin pass the snow on the glacier had a 10-15 cm breakable crust with moist snow underneath it. Awful travelling at that point but it will improve quickly if it cools down. No avalanche concerns there. LOTS of big wet sloughs pouring off the cliffs everywhere.

Today it was much warmer and drier than forecasted. Too damp for rock climbing but the snow line crept up during the day to above 3000m.

I would be eyes wide open if heading above 3000m and would only go if I had cold temperatures and good visibility. I am, at least, not quite as pessimistic about the avalanche hazard as I was a couple of days ago.

Larry Stanier
ACMG/IFMGA Mountain Guide
laristan@telus.net