Search MCR

Thursday, April 23, 2009

[MCR] Louise Falls

Climbed Louise Falls yesterday, April 22nd. It is huge and was in spring conditions. Melt/freeze 'corn' ice overlies the surface and I had to clear between 4 and 6 inches away to place screws and that was the most work on the climb -clearing away the corn ice to get screws. On the low angled ice I was cautious with my crampons shearing through the corn and I kicked steps, on the steeper stuff I was concerned with my tools rippiing out and got them deepish. Face shots with every placement (the corn ice tends to spray more than cold ice). I suspect that the route is locked up now (6am, April 23rd) as it is -7 C  in Canmore as I type this, and that the corn ice will be dinnerplating until it thaws.

The walk off is icy, we did 1 30m rappel off of tree on the walk off to avoid most of the frontpointing down.

Happy trails,

Barry Blanchard
UIAGM/IFMGA Mountain Guide
Yamnuska Mountain Adventures